The summer months, before the huge holiday rush of the fall, is a great time to build your email list. Entice your summer customers to provide their emails, so you’ll have a larger audience to market to for the holidays.
Hop to it – now’s the time! Go get ’em, marketers!
Here are 10 easy ways to collect email addresses:
- Have your cashiers keep a notebook or electronic tablet next to the cash register. Instruct them to ask customers for their email address and in return, give the customers something small, like a bite-size candy bar. Don’t underestimate the power of a candy bar! You could also offer local team sports promotional items or small gadgets with your store’s branding on it. Get creative – you can score heavy discounts on many small items when purchased in bulk.
- If you send invoices to customers, include a call to action inside the envelope to encourage them to sign up for your email list. This could be as simple as a link to sign-up on the printed invoice or a separate piece of paper with specific instructions of how to sign up and what they’ll receive for signing up (exclusive offers, event info, etc.).
- Collect business cards in a fish bowl near the register. Be sure to have blank cards available as well for those without business cards. Just have a small sign next to the bowl letting customers know that they’ll receive discounts and special offers by putting their business card in the bowl. To further entice your customers, hold a monthly raffle. Post a picture of the prize on the bowl and watch those business cards multiply!
- Place a kiosk or electronic tablet at the register for a seamless way to collect email addresses. The kiosk or tablet can be synced with your email accounts. In other words, once a customer signs up in your store, the email automatically syncs with your account, so you don’t have to import any email addresses manually. Kiosks and tablets look professional and they are a great conversational piece!
- If you are having an event in your store during the holidays, take advantage of this amazing opportunity to rapidly build your email list. You can walk around with a pad of paper or collect business cards in a bowl. If you have a tablet or kiosk (mentioned above), you can unplug it from the counter stand and bring this around the store! It’s an easy way for customers to fill out their information directly.
- Include a link to your email sign-up in your email signature. It’s an easy way to consistently remind customers about your email list.
- Encourage your current email subscribers to share and forward your emails by including social sharing buttons and an “Email to a Friend” button in your marketing emails. That way, you’ll gain access to fresh networks, friends, and colleagues who might sign up for your list. At the bottom of your emails, include a “Subscribe” link as a simple text-based link so that those receiving the forwarded emails can easily opt-in, too.
- Facebook has a new “Call To Action” button. It’s located at the bottom right of your cover image. Choose the “Sign Up” option and link it to your online email subscribe form, so your Facebook fans can easily join your email list.
- Add a QR code to your print marketing collateral that people can scan to opt in to your email database.
- Incentivize your employees to build your email list! Reward employees for building your email list with cash or gift cards to local stores/eateries. Consider holding a new contest each month with a new giveaway.