Sluff off the winter by springing into a marketing plan with actionable steps! Follow these six steps to build and execute a marketing plan tailored to your business.
- Set Goals: Sure, everyone knows that you need a marketing plan. But, what does that mean for your company?
- Decide what platforms work best for you (Email Marketing, Videos on YouTube, Posts on Facebook, Photos on Instagram, Little League Sponsorship, Print Advertising… so many options),
- Then, decide what exactly you expect and anticipate from your platforms? Are you trying to drive foot traffic through your doors? Are you hoping to sell products online? Are you wanting to improve brand awareness?
- Once you know the answers to those questions, you can set realistic goals.
- Define Target Audience: Based on your current customer base, who are you hoping to reach through your marketing efforts?
- Want more millennials? Want more retirees? Want more stay-at-home-parents? Want more self-employed carpenters? Want people from another zip code?
- It’s great to get specific about your target audience because the better you know who you want finding your website the better you’ll be at crafting the right message for that audience.
- Make a Plan: Remember those goals you set in step 1? If you were to pick the best platform and hone in on the ideal target audience, what would you want them to buy or learn from your website?
- Plan your marketing efforts around specific services or products – that will help you measure your efforts once a campaign is completed.
- Be thorough and thoughtful in your plan; try to stay focused on your goals and be smart about achieving them.
- Schedule Your Time: Making a plan is great. Having goals is a major step. Doing the research to define your audience is key… but nothing get’s done if you don’t set aside a scheduled time (weekly, monthly, quarterly, whatever!) to produce marketing materials based on steps 1-3, push them to your defined target audience, and actually do the work of marketing.
- You would not believe how often this step gets skipped!
- Monitor and Tweak: So, you made it through steps 1-4… now what?
- Now, you watch the engagement. It can be slow, at first, so don’t let low engagement numbers initially squelch your efforts.
- Now, you notice comments or responses and see what people like or don’t like about your marketing effort.
- Now, you tweak, accordingly, and adjust your efforts to improve and engage even more
- People are quick to react and quicker to rejoice if they feel heard. Let’s say you get feedback that a video you embedded in an email isn’t working. No problem! You thank those who let you know and then fix the glitch and then try again next time.
- Knowing that you are responsive and engaging will be beneficial in the long run.